Mile 229 Report

April 5, 2007
by spleague

South Depoe Bay
Thursday 10:00 AM
70° F
Tide Level:
2.0 ft
Humans / Pets:
Walking / Running:
Activity Comments:
Notable Wildlife:
There is a pair of Canadian Geese in the cove, but no sign of offspring as yet. There were two pair a couple of weeks ago, but one pair left after a couple of days.
Dead Birds:
Fish & Invertebrates:
New Development:
Natural Changes:
Very little debris on the beach in the cove.
Other Mile 229 Reports (13)


December 13, 2020 - njwhite
King Tide of 10.3 this morning. Observed many shorebirds, residents and dogs walking along the pathways, which is the only safe location to observe mile 229. Nothing extraordinary to report, other...


December 22, 2018 - njwhite
Mile # 229 consists of a rocky basalt coastline which rises approximately 50-70 feet from the ocean, making the area close to the ocean inaccessible. There is walkway in the community of Little Whale...
  • Looking north from pathway in LWC
  • North end of LWC walkway
  • View to the north on mile 229
  • Surfer near the cove during king tide
  • Little Whale Cove king tide December 22, 2018
August 28, 2018 - njwhite
Observed young Black Oystercatcher and parent on the rocks near the whale watching platform. We took part in a Black Oystercatcher study this past spring to see if a nesting spot could be located....


November 4, 2017 - njwhite
Pictures were taken from a central point along mile 229 looking to the north and south
  • Mile 229 king tide 2017


July 13, 2013 - [email protected]
MP229 Description90% of the mile is a pillow basalt headland rising approximately 50 feet above mean sea level. The remaining 10%, near the south end, is a small cove (Little Whale Cove) caused by...
  • MP229 Looking North from U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey marker #2  visible in lower center.
  • MP229 Looking South from U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey marker #2 visible in lower center of photo


December 14, 2012 - [email protected]
Observed high tide (King Tide) at 11:50 a.m. 12/14/2012.Partly sunny with light wind. Occasional big waves sending spray above shoreline path at Little Whale Cove residential area. In Little Whale...
  • December 14, 2012, "King Tide" of 10.6 feet at 11:50am breaches bedrock lip of Little Whale Cove


November 12, 2010 - [email protected]
Beautiful fall day between storms. Lots of woody material and kelp at upper part of beach, indicating a very high surf/tide event in recent past. Three seagulls bathing in Little Whale Cove at time...
  • Typical basalt shoreline along milepost 229
  • Woody material, kelp and matted grass indicating high surf/tide within Little Whale Cove
May 13, 2010 - [email protected]
It’s a beautiful sunny day at the beach with little wind. All along mp229 all is quiet except for an occasional person or couple, generally with a dog or two on leash, taking a stroll along the...


September 24, 2009 - [email protected]
Lots of whale watching activity by small boats from Depoe Bay. About six to twelve whales commonly spotted 1/4 to 1/2 mole offshore of Milepost 229. Healthy looking kelp beds immediately offshore of...


July 19, 2008 - SKrein
Saw and photographed a great blue heron. It was first seen fishing in small pool of water beneath a log. These herons often seek food (fish) in areas where fresh and salt water are close by, as is...
  • Photo taken in Whale Cove.  Was first seen fishing in small pool of water beneath a log.These herons often seek food (fish) in areas where fresh and salt water are close by, as is the case in the cove.


September 30, 2007 - SKrein
We noted several concerns with newly-developed property at Little Whale Cove. The Property manager stated that there were State Lands people she could bring in to talk to the property owner. This...
  • View of path and short stairway to the edge of the bluff.
  • View from stairway to the edge of the bluff.
September 18, 2007 - [email protected]
Calm; no remarkable observations of concern.
June 19, 2007 - SKrein
A local beach cleanup was held on Sunday, June 17, so there is very little to report in the way of debris in the cove. Most of the logs that had come in over the past quarter were cut and burned,...