Exploding Whale Anniversary
November 12 marks the 52nd anniversary of the uniquiely-Oregon exploding whale event. A public 52nd Anniversary Exploding Whale Memorial family-friendly celebration is planned for Saturday, November 12th from 12-8 p.m. at Homegrown Public House and Brewery (294 Laurel Street in historic Florence Old Town).
Events of the day include:
- Representatives from Cape Perpetua Marine Reserve and the Elakha Alliance from 12-3 p.m.
- Public toasts at 2 and 6 p.m.
- Exploding Whale exhibit at the Suislaw Museum across the street from 12-4 p.m.
- Photo opportunities and story time with Mermaid Shannon
- Appearances by Florence’s official-unofficial whale mascots, Flo and Rence
All are encouraged to bring small offerings and homages to the whale to be placed at the art installation on the east side of Homegrown. The exhibit is meant to be fanciful, fun and will naturally evolve throughout the day into the evening when it glows with lights and the reflections of the colorful contributions.
For more information, visit www.xplodingwhale.com.